Sunday, May 28, 2017

Thank you Prague for the Charles Bridge & Hello Sydney + Art.

A few days before we were due to leave Prague one of my art school buddies whom I used to spend a lot of time doing night shots with (on film..) suggested via Facebook that I do some night shots of Prague. Of course, what a beautiful classic and romantic idea! Why didn't I think of that? So the very next morning before the crack of dawn. I was out the door, onto the lamp post lit cobbled streets of Prague heading for the Charles Bridge. And the the lights went out - remember that night in Brisbane, Allan, Megan... Well at least I knew it was lights off at 5.38AM. I still had two chances to make my morning/night bridge shot happen. Next day - oops slept in - or no alarm.. leaving me with just ONE FINAL CHANCE! Can he do it? Well yes and well no; but at least I made it onto the bridge with the lights still on, shooting-pictures all the way. And the minute I put the camera on the tripod and readied for the BIG SHOT! Megan, Allan, do you remember that night in Brisbane.. just as I squeezed the cable release on the camera and the lights went out. Déjà vu!!! Well I certainly wasn't happy. So I grabbed some time exposure shots (no street lights) and felt I needed something more. With much better timing than myself, along walks a lovely young woman whom I just know is Street Fashion Sydney Prague. So here it is, my last street fashion portrait from Prague taken at 5:51 AM on my last morning there. Thank you everyone who stood for my camera, I appreciate your kindness more than you will ever know.
A young red haired woman on the Charles Bridge, Prague at 5:51AM wearing black suede ankle boots and jacket with blue jeans and apricot floral scarf. Street Fashion Sydney - Prague, photographed by Kent Johnson.
And yes I did get some night shots - most of my pictures will be going up (much larger than here) on my Flickr here https://www.flickr.com/photos/kentjohnson/ or follow on Facebook for updates including those night shots!

Meanwhile back in Sydney..
Some great painting and a fabulous last Hurrah from the legendary Stills photography gallery which after 25 years is closing - still at the top of their game - at the end of June. Read On for more.
Curator and former Co-Director Sandy Edwards - Final show at Stills Gallery. Street Fashion Sydney by Kent Johnson.
Curator and former Co-Director Sandy Edwards - Final show at Stills Gallery. 

Exhibition panorama and art crowd - Final show at Stills Gallery. Street Fashion Sydney by Kent Johnson.
Art patrons - Final show at Stills Gallery. Street Fashion Sydney by Kent Johnson.
Jon Lewis, exhibititor - Final show at Stills Gallery. Street Fashion Sydney by Kent Johnson.
Jon Lewis  - Final show at Stills Gallery

Melita Dahl exhibitor - Final show at Stills Gallery. Street Fashion Sydney by Kent Johnson.
Melita Dahl - Final show at Stills Gallery
I know I tend to free associate a lot but how strange was it to see an artist for the first time at Watters Gallery just last week who; just so happened to be a huge inspiration for a friend of mine; you guessed it, from art school (which was some time ago I might add). My friend would say to me "Oi kento, you have got to look at this woman's work, Vicki Varvaressos, it's brilliant! Vicki Varvaressos, Vicki Varvaressos, Vicki Varvaressos" Just like that. I think he loved her name as much as her work which is just as brilliant now as it was back then. Go see it for yourself!
Vicki Varvaressos at Watters Gallery, Street Fashion Sydney by Kent Johnson.
Jim Anderson with Vicki Varvaressos at Watters Gallery, Street Fashion Sydney by Kent Johnson.
Jim Anderson with Vicki Varvaressos at Watters Gallery.
Finally, though it didn't really happen in this order, the lovely show by Lucy Culliton at King Street Gallery on William. I know Lucy's work is very popular and it is easy to see why, at least for me. I did overhear someone saying "who would put a picture of a farm animal on their wall". Well let me tell you. Lots of people. And go learn some art history while you are at it! Anyway, clearly they are all portraits and as a city fella it's nice to learn that those animals are all different and have their own personality, great work, head on down and make some new friends. On Now!

Australian parrots painted by Lucy Culliton. Street Fashion Sydney by Kent Johnson.
The Residents of Bibbenluke Lodge.
Lucy Culliton and friends at The Residents of Bibbenluke Lodge exhibition launch.  Fashion Sydney by Kent Johnson.
Jeans and tote bags, Street Fashion Sydney by Kent Johnson.
Large heart shape hoop earrings. Grey cable knit and blue jeans. Street Fashion Sydney by Kent Johnson.
The Residents of Bibbenluke Lodge, cattle and sheep. Street Fashion Sydney by Kent Johnson.
Detail - The Residents of Bibbenluke Lodge, a small flock of sheep. Street Fashion Sydney by Kent Johnson.


Telling Stories in Pictures all over..
Kent Johnson, Sydney, Australia.
0433 796 863

No comments: